Ever since I was a kid watching Norm Abram building his router table I have always wanted to have one. Now at the age of 44 that dream has come true after saving up for a few years on the side. After looking at different models and custom made versions I went for this Kreg model. It is compact, cheap, but good quality. The other plus is that my router will fit it perfectly.
In this post we will put the stand together.
Here is the contents of the box after opening it.
The instructions say to assemble the stand first so I layed out all the parts for it.
First thing to do was put on the rubber leg supports.
Next, assemble the long front and back sides then connect them with the short runners.
The frame went together easily. Once all four sides were bolted together it was real strong already without the top on.
Brought up my old workbench from the basement now that I have room for it again in the workshop and modified it a bit to make it more usable.
I started off by cutting off 3 1/2 inches on the legs so it is at a better working height.
The top has a bit of flex in it so I am going to add another layer to it.
Adding a quarter inch to the old half inch plywood that someone was throwing out.
Cleaned the surface and add some glue between the layers.
Lots of screws later the flex is gone.
Adding the side boards back on to the new top thickness and inserting the smooth mdf top layer. Also storing the extra train track underneath till spring.
Plenty of power.
The next event our creations will be on display at with be the yearly Britishfest. HP Yule Ball in Omaha! The platform 9 3/4 wall will be there as well as the mechanical Death eater!
For more info about this event check out the www.Britishfest.com website!!
This is the ONLY family friendly version of a Yule Ball in Omaha. Why exclude the kids?
Got a hold of some fiberglass Dalek parts that were bad pulls for just the cost of the material. I plan to make a blown up NSD as the parts would never be good enough for a Hero looking one.
I might even paint this one black to look like Dalek Sec! Might work a bit on it this winter while working on the train caboose.
Today I finally did a little something about the dust in the shop as well as getting some air circulation on a hot day.
I installed two box fans with house filters on top that help to alleviate most of both problems.
Box Fan.... amzn.to/2IY0aXj
First I measured the box fan, it came out to 20 and a half inches. The space between the rafters is 22 and a quarter. So by adding a filler 2x4 gives me the correct spacing to attach the fan between two rafters.
Next I temporarily attached a helper board with some clamps to help hold the fan up while I attached it to the rafters.
Taking the front screen off I drilled 4 holes, two on opposite sides that the screws go through to fasten to the beams.
After being secured I took down the helper board and put the front grill back on. I then put the 20x20 filters on top facing the correct direction and put two pieces of painters tape on each fan to hold them in place when the fans are not running.
Heard a lot of good reviews of a saw blade called Diablo so I thought I would give one a try. As you can see my old blade gave up the ghost recently. I also got one of those metal beam holders to make it easier to cut long lumber. Both made short work of cutting 2x8x12s in half! The Diablo blade is so well balanced and vibration free i was hard to tell it was doing anything. It cut like butter with no drag on the engine. for being a rough lumber blade is cut super smooth! Ordered a fine cut blade to test out on finish lumber as I was so impressed.
Here is a link to the blade I used and the Plate Vice.
Diablo Blade https://amzn.to/2rYuVRa
Plate Vice https://amzn.to/2keKZes