A few weeks after we moved the shed and cemented the baggage cart permanently in place in front of it, I started on the detail work. The eves looked barren so I decided to box them in.
With some scrap 2x4s and some Kreg screws I made some kick-outs that the eve parts will mount to as I can't screw though the shingles to hold them on.
Adding the 1x6 boards. They are PVC white so they will never rot or need painted.
I also added a small window to let light in as well as dress it up to look like a ticket window.
Removing the corner trim I caulked any holes and painted in all the trim with a brush.I also painted behind the cart by hand as it can't be moved.
With the paint dry I check for any missed spots such as the window screws then put the corner trim back on.
The last touch is some train signage to give it that depot feel. This Fall I will make some additional trim details.
After having the track set up for a few days over the July holiday weekend, I decided to take it all back apart as I did not like how it looked. As I hand bent the curves originally, they looked all wonky and the joints had some unneeded stress on them.
With all the ties removed I stacked them all so they are out of the way.
Here you can see how being hand bent none of them match up for just being a circle.
All that extra stress moved the track around a lot and bent up the connectors as there is no ballast yet. So I hammered them back straight and plum.
With the new rail bender I got I straightened the rails back out again by running them in reverse. Then I ran them back through forwards putting just a small arc on them for now.
The rail bender made short work of them and now they are all exact. Later when I put them back down properly with ballast I will bend them to the final curvature.